Recent shootings in Mayor David Miller's Toronto
Guns & Shootings Toronto 2006
Guns in Toronto 2005
- Dec. 27 - A home invasion took place on Gilder Drive in Scarborough around 6 p.m. in the evening. The invasion was believed to be drug related and while it was taking place a 21-year-old man was shot in the leg. He was taken to Scarborough General Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Some occupants of the home were arrested on other matters but the shooters got away and those in the home were not cooperating with police.
- Dec. 26 - Shortly after midnight shots rang out from inside the Privilege Night Club located in the Entertainment District on Peter Street near Richmond. A man who had been previously ejected from the club returned with another man, a handgun was produced and fired into the air. There were no injuries.Police officers heard the shots and arrested a 21-year-old man who left the club after a short foot chase. There were no injuries.
- Dec. 26 - Seven people were shot on Yonge Street nearİElmİafter shots were exchanged by gunmen at around 5:20 p.m. At the time of the shootings the street, just north of the Eaton Centre was crowded with Boxing Day shoppers. A 15-year-old girl was shot in the face and died while a man is in hospital listed in critical condition. Shortly after the shooting police arrested 2 men at the Castle Frank Subway Station. Although not immediately charged with participating in the shootings, at least one of the arrested men was in possession of a handgun.
- Dec. 23 - At appoximately 5:30 p.m., a 25-year-old man was shot several times including at least once in the head in the Jane/Finch area of the city. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
- Dec. 22 - Around 6:30 p.m., a man in his early 20s was shot in the upper arm outside of a restaurant at the Sheridan Mall located at Jane Street and Wilson Avenue. He is expected to survive.
- Dec. 22 - At approximately 4:45 p.m. a 26-year-old man was shot several times at a strip mall located at Weston Road and Church Street in North York. He was rushed to Sunnybrook Hospital with life threatening injuries.
- Dec. 15 - During the afternoon, two men were engaged in a shootout on Parliament Street while the area was busy with Christmas shoppers. There were no reports of injuries.
- Dec. 11 - At approximately 12:30 a.m., a 34-year-old man was shot in the right knee at a townhouse complex near Jane and Steeles. He was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
- Dec. 4 - At around 3 p.m., several shots were fired outside of a restaurant on Dundas Street just east of University Avenue. A man in his 20s was shot in the leg and taken to St. Michael's Hospital. His injuries are non-life threatening.
- Dec. 3 - Around 1:30 a.m., a man was shot in the leg in the House of Lancaster on Bloor Street near Lansdowne Avenue. He was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
- Dec. 1 - At approximately 7 p.m. a 25-year-old man was shot in the chest several times in a car dealership parking lot near Weston Road and Steeles Avenue West. He was rushed to Sunnybrook Hospital where he later died. This was the 74th murder in Toronto this year and the 50th shooting death. Police are looking for two men.
- Nov. 30 - At approximately 2 p.m., a man drove into a parking lot in Regent Park and got out of his car. He began an argument with two men and then took out a gun and fired at them. One of the other men also drew a gun and fired back. Approximately 10 shots were fired during the incident. All three men fled the area before police arrived.
- Nov. 29 - At approximately 3 p.m., a man in his late teens or early 20s was shot to death in the area of Bloor Street and Perth Avenue in Toronto's west end. Police are looking for a female suspect.
- Nov. 27 - At approximately 11:45 p.m., a man was shot in the head near Albion Road and Finch Avenue West. The man, believed to be in his late teens or early 20s was rushed to hospital and it is expected that he will survive.
- Nov. 23 - Around 7:30 p.m., a man told police that he was abducted from the parking lot of an Etobicoke Mall, placed in a car and shot several times. He was dumped out of the car in the QEW and Hurontario Street area of Mississauga. His injuries are not considered to be life-threatening.
- Nov. 23 - At approximately 9:30 p.m., two men were sitting in a car in the Dundas and Sherbourne area of Toronto. Another vehicle drove byİ and shots were fired from the passing car. At least 4 shots had hit the parked vehicle and one of the men was hit in the arm. The victim then fled the scene.
- Nov. 22 - At approximately 1:15 p.m., a passing motorist noticed a man lying on the sidewalk in front of a house near the subway station and Yonge and Sheppard. The 39-year-old man was rushed to Sunnybrook Hospital for surgery. Police suspect that he was shot elswhere and dumped on the sidewalk.
- Nov. 21 - During the afternoon, two groups of men shot at each other on Sackville Street in the Parliament Street and Dundas Street area. There were no reports of injuries and no arrests were made.
- Nov. 20 - Shortly after 1 p.m., two men had a shootout in the Wellesley and Parliament Street area. There were no reports of injuries but pedestrians were forced to take cover when the shooting broke out. No arrests have been made.
- Nov. 19 - At approximately 2 a.m., a man was shot in the Dufferin and Finch area. The shooting only came to light when the man went to a hospital with obvious gunshot wounds. Police have no suspects.
- Nov. 18 - At approximately 11 p.m., a man in his 20s was shot in the arm and leg. The shooting occurred in Rexdale on Lexington Avenue near Martin Grove Rd. The man was taken to Sunnybrook Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
- Nov. 18 - A funeral was underway today at the 7th Day Adventist Church at Martin Grove and Albion Road for 17-year-old Jamal Hemmings who was shot to death on November 9. At approximately 12:30 p.m. a teen left the church and was followed outside by three armed men. When the teen was about to re-enter the church he was shot in the neck. He was rushed to Etobicoke General Hospital with vital signs absent and was later pronounced dead.
- Nov. 14 - At approximately 4 p.m., a 44-year-old man was shot on Driftwood Avenue in the Jane/Finch area of the city. He was shot in the back and rushed to hospital. He is in serious condition but is expected to recover.
- Nov. 14 - At 5:45 p.m., 3 brothers were shot in a laneway on Rosethorn Avenue in the Rogers Road and Old Weston Road area of the city. One man, 29,İis dead and the other two were taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
- Nov. 11 - At around midnight, when the cinemas were getting out,İshots were fired in the parking lot of the Woodbine Shopping Mall in Rexdale. No one was injured, but a vehicle that was leaving the lot was hit and a TTC bus shelter was damaged. Police believe that at least 3 guns were used.
- Nov. 9 - Shortly before 4 p.m., police received a call about gunshots being fired. They went to the area of Marlee Avenue and Eglinton Avenue East and found an unconscious male in his late teens with apparent gunshot wounds. He was taken to Sunnybrook Hospital and pronounced dead.
- Nov. 9 - At approximately 5 p.m., a male in his 20s was shot in the arm on Lawrence Avenue East at Kingston Road. He suffered non-life-threatening injuries. The shooting took place close to a daycare centre that had to be locked down.
- Nov. 8 - Shortly before 10 p.m. a man in his mid-20s was shot in the torso in Scarborough near Morningside and Lawrence. He was not breathing when EMS arrived but was able to be revived. He was rushed to hospital in serious condition. Police are looking for two men.
- Nov. 5 - At approximately 8 p.m., a 17-year-old male was shot on St. Dennis Drive in the Don Mills Road and Eglinton Avenue East area. He was taken to Sunnybrook Hospital and is listed in stable condition. Police are looking for up to 6 men.
- Nov. 1 - Early in the morning a man in his 20s was shot in the face and killed when he opened his door. The murder took place in the area of Victoria Park and Finch Avenue East.
- Oct. 31 - At approximately 10:50 p.m., several shots were fired into an apartment on Sackville Street in Regent Park. There were at least 4 children in the apartment at the time of the shooting. Luckily, no one in the apartment was injured.
- Oct. 29 - At approximately 3 a.m., a man was shot in arm in a parking lot near John and Richmond Street in the Entertainment District. He was taken to St. Michael's Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
- Oct. 24 - A 22-year-old man who is known to police was shot in the upper torso in the Victoria Park/Finch area of Scarborough around 11 p.m. He was taken to Scarborough Grace Hospital by a friend where he remains with non-life-threatening injuries.
- Oct. 24 - Shortly after the previous incident, a teenager was shot in the leg on Grenoble Drive in the Don Mills Road and Eglinton Avenue area. Police think that this might have been a drive-by shooting. The victim is in hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
- Oct. 24 - At approximately 2 p.m., a man fired off shots with a shotgun in Parkdale near Queen Street West and Brock Street. There were no reports of injuries but 2 nearby schools were locked down. No arrests have been made.
- Oct. 24 - At around 3 p.m., a man was shot several times on Eddystone Avenue in the Jane/Finch area of the city. He was rushed to Sunnybrook Hospital and is listed in serious condition.
- Oct. 24 - Shortly after 10 a.m., two men had a shootout outside of the Sherbourne Street subway station resulting in the closure of the station. There were no arrests and no injuries although a passing van was struck by a bullet that narrowly missed the driver.
- Oct. 24 - At approximately 2:30 a.m., a 21-year-old man was shot in the stomach outside of a club and John and Richmond Street in Toronto's Entertainment District. He was taken to St. Michael's hospital and is in serious condition. His injuries are not believed to be life threatening.
- Oct. 23 - At approximately 6:30 p.m., two men were in a car travelling north on Martin Grove Road near Finch Avenue West when two gunmen opened fire on the vehicle. Both the driver and the passenger were shot in the head. The passenger was pronounced dead at the scene and the driver was taken to Sunnybrook Hospital where he later died.
- Oct. 22 - At approximately 4:30 p.m., a man in his 20s was shot outside of a housing complex in the Finch Avenue West/ Albion Road area of northwest Toronto. He was vital signs absent and was later declared dead at hospital.
- Oct. 15 - At approximately 11:20 p.m. an on duty TTC bus driver was shot in the area of Morningside and Sewells Road in Scarborough. The driver, who may not have been the intended target, was taken to Sunnybrook Hospital and is listed in serious condition. Police are looking for 3 suspects.
- Oct. 14 - Shortly before 11 p.m., a 17-year-old and a 21-year-old man were shot at a housing complex on Leeward Glenway in the Don Mills Road and Eglinton Avenue area. Both are expected to live although the 17-year-old is listed in serious condition.
- Oct. 11 - A home invasion took place at approximately 6:15 a.m. in a townhouse located in the area of Jarvis and Front Street East. In addition to beatings, one resident of the townhouse was shot in the head.
- Oct. 9 - A 25-year-old man was shot in the neck, shoulder and leg after some men burst into a restaurant and started firing. The incident occurred at the May Karaoke and Restaurant on Dundas Street West near Bathurst Street. The victim was taken to St. Michael's Hospital where he was listed in serious condition.
- İOct. 7 - At approximately 9 p.m, a 24-year-oldİman was shot in Regent Park in the area of Parliament Street and Dundas Avenue. He was hit in the neck and is believed to have received spinal cord injuries.
- Oct. 7 - A man was shot several times during the afternoon on Lawrence Avenue East near Scarborough Golf Club Road. He was hit in the face and chest and was rushed to hospital. His injuries are not life threatening
- Oct. 5 - Police were called to a secondary school in Etobocoke where they found an 18-year-old male suffering from non life threatening gunshot wounds. A 19-year-old was subsequently arrested and appeared in court on October 7.
- Sept. 29 - Shortly after 6 a.m., a man in his late teens or 20s called 911 from the Finch and Weston Road area of North York. He had been shot 4 times and the shooting was believed to have taken place in another area of the GTA. He was taken to Sunnybrook Hospital with life threatening injuries
- Sept. 27 - At around 10:30 p.m. shots were fired from the rooftop of a building in the Jane and Finch area at a car that had entered the apartment building complex. Persons in the car returned the fire. There were no reports of injuries and no arrests.
- Sept. 23 - Shortly after 11 p.m., police were called to the Malvern Mall in Scarborough. Two men were in a Pizza Pizza restaurant suffering from gunshot wounds. The bullets had come through the restaurant's windows. Police do not know at this time if the shootings were random. Both victims were taken to Sunnybrook Hospital and are expected to survive.
- Sept. 21 - At approximately 9:50 p.m., several police officers were checking out a basketball court near the Jane and Finch area when shots were fired at them. Police believe the shots came from a nearby rooftop. The ETF were called in but the perpetrators were not found. None of the officers were injured.
- İSept. 18 - Three people are charged with attempted murder after a security guard was shot outside a nightclub in the entertainment district on Richmond Street near Simcoe. The shooting occured around 2 a.m. The victim was taken to St. Michael's Hospital in critical but stable condition.
- Sept. 16 - Shortly after 9 p.m., 2 people were shot and killed outside of an apartment building at 75 Tandridge Crescent. Tandridge Crescent is located in the Albion Rd, Islington Avenue area of northwest Toronto. Both persons were pronounced dead at the scene. A third person was shot and is in critical condition with life threatening injuries at Sunnybrook Hospital.
- Sept. 16 - During the afternoon, an 18-year-old student was shot in the foot in the parking lot of Cardinal Newman Secondary School in Scarborough. The victim was taken to hospital, treated and released.
- Sept. 14 - At around 10:15 p.m., gunshots were heard in the vicinity of Floral Parkway and MacLeod Streets in the city's west end. A short time later an 18-year-old man showed up at Humber River Hospital with a gunshot
- Sept. 13 - At approximately 10 p.m., a man in his 20s was shot and killed in a parking lot at Yorkwoods Mall, located in the Jane and Sheppard area of northwest Toronto.
- Sept. 10 - At 2:54 p.m., police received a call to go to Jane and Driftwood Avenue in North York. A man in his 20s had been shot several times and was pronounced dead at the scene. There were several people in the area where the man was shot, including children who were playing nearby.
- Sept. 9 - At around 3 p.m., police went to an apartment building at 25 Bishop Tutu Blvd. in the area of Bathurst and Front Streets. They found the lifeless body of a man with trauma to the head. The next day a post mortem revealed that the deceased had been shot in the neck.
- Sept. 9 - A man was shot near the intersection of Birmingham and 9th Street in Etobicoke. He made his way to the Trillium Health Centre in Mississauga and police were notified.
- Sept. 9 - At 8:25 p.m., police were called to the William Osler Health Centre in Etobicoke after the hospital reported a patient with gunshot wounds. The male was transferred to Sunnybrook Hospital.
- Sept. 9 - At approximately 7:20 p.m., a man was shot twice in the stomach in the west end of the cityİnear Keele and Wilson. He was rushed to Sunnybrook Hospital.
- Sept. 8 - At approximately 5 p.m., police were called to a park in the Jane and Lawrence area of the city. They found a 21-year-old male who had an apparent gunshot wound and was vital signs absent. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
- Sept. 5 - shortly after 4 a.m., a man was making a right turn from Highway 27 onto Humber College Blvd when another car pulled up along side of him. Several shots were fired into his vehicle from the second car. The first vehicle sustained several bullet holes but neither the man nor his mother, who was a passenger
- Aug. 31 - A 17-year-old was shot twice in the neck by a bicycle-riding shooter at around 9:20 p.m. The shooting happened on Stanley Terrace near Queen Street West and Ossington Avenue. The victim was taken to St. Michael's Hospital where he was reported to be in stable condition.
- Aug. 31 - Shortly after midnight, a man who was on a basketball court in the Jane and Lawrence area was shot when several shotgun blasts were fired. He is expected to survive.
- Aug. 30 - At approximately 5:30 p.m., police received a call to go to 1901 Sheppard Avenue West where they found a man with anapparent gun shot wound. He was rushed to Sunnybrook Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
- Aug. 30 - At about 7:15 p.m.,a man in his late 20s was shot in the neck outside the Galleria Mall at Dufferin and Dupont Streets. There were children playing soccer and elderly men playing bocce close to where the shooting occurred. The victim was taken to St. Michael's Hospital and is expected to recover.
- Aug. 30 - between seven and nine shots were fired behind a highrise apartment building on Trethewey Drive around 12:25.a.m. A 23-year-old man was hit in the stomach and hip.
- Aug. 29 - At approximately 10:45 p.m. a man was shot in the leg at a housing complex in the area of Dundas and Bathurst Street. The man's injuries were minor.
- Aug. 26 - At about 9:30 p.m. a 19-year-old male was shot while he was riding his bicycle along Chester Le Blvd. in the Finch Avenue East/Victoria Park area of the city. He was rushed to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
- Aug. 26 - At about 1:30 p.m. a man staggered into a donut shop on Victoria Park Avenue near Dawes Road. He had been shot several times and was rushed to St. Michael's Hospital.
- Aug 25 - around 7 p.m. police went to the rear of an apartment building located at 3181 Eglinton Avenue East. They found a man with apparent gun shot wounds lying on the basketball courts. Police say that there were between 15 and 20 people in the area of the courts at the time of the shooting. The man was taken to Sunnybrook Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
- Aug 25 - At approximately 2:30 p.m. police went to a community centre located in the Victoria Park, Eglinton area of Toronto. At least 9 shots were fired, some hitting the centre. There were children playing in the area at the time of the shooting.
- Aug. 22 - At approximately 1 a.m. police received information that gunshots were fired at a housing complex on Wakunda Place near O'Connor Drive in the city's east end. A police investigation found that one bullet entered a home while another round was found in the front door of another residence. No injuries were reported.
- Aug. 21 - At approximately 5:20 p.m., a 17-year-old male was shot in the abdomen just outside an entrance to the Jane/Finch Mall. He was taken to Sunnybrook Hospital with non life-threatening injuries.
- Aug. 20 - At approximately 4 am.police were called to a parking garage at 388 Richmond Street West in downtown. The victim had been engaged in an altercation with 6 or 7 men when one man shot him 3 times. The victim was rushed to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
- Aug. 16 - police received a call at 5:51 p.m. and went to a location in the Don Mills Rd and Eglinton Avenue area of Toronto. They found a man in his 20slying in the road with apparent gunshot wounds. He had no vital signs and was rushed to Sunnybrook Health and Sciences Centre where he was pronounced dead.
- Aug. 15 - At around 3 p.m., a man was driven to Humber Regional Hospital sufferering from a gunshot wound to the foot. The man refused to give police any information regarding the shooting.
- Aug. 15 - At approximately 3 a.m. a man was shot in the head in the area of Sherbourne Street and Wellesley Street East. He was rushed to St. Michael's Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
- Aug. 14 - At approximately 8 p.m., a 17-year-old boy was waiting for a bus at the corner of Lawrence Avenue East and Manse Road. A vehicle passed him and then made a u-turn, approached him and two passengers began firing at him. The victim was hit twice and later attended Scarborough General Hospital with non life threatening injuries.
- Aug. 14 - At about 6:10 p.m., police went to the area of Coronation Road and Kitchener Road to investigate shots fired. There had been two vehicles in the intersection when the shots rang out and it is not known if there were any injuries.
- Aug. 14 - At about 5 p.m., shots were fired from a car into the crowded yard of St. Bernard Catholic School in the Jane Street and Lawrence Avenue West area. Some in the schoolyard shot back but no injuries were reported.
- Aug. 14 - At approximately 10 p.m., shots to fired into a bus shelter in the Lawrence Heights area. There is speculation that police officers had been the intended targets. No injuries were reported.
- Aug. 13 - Shortly after 10:30 p.m., two boys, aged 13 and 14, were shot in the Neilson Rd. and Sheppard Avenue E. area of Scarborough. Both boys were shot in the leg and are in stable condition in hospital.
- Aug. 13 - At approximately 10:30 p.m., a man was shot in the neck in the west end of the city near Scarlett Rd. and Lawrence Avenue W. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
- Aug. 10 - at approximately 1 a.m., three shots were fired at police officers who were patrolling the Jane and Finch area of the city. There were no injuries and no suspects were found during a subsequent search.
- August 8 - A man was found shot multiple times in a vehicle at Jarvis Street and Bloor. He was taken to hospital and pronounced dead.
- August 8 - Two men were discovered with gunshot wounds near Maitland Place and Homewood Avenue. One man was pronounced dead at the scene while the other was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
- August 7 - Two men were shot in a moving vehicle in the area of Markham Road and Eglinton Avenue East around 11 p.m. One was taken to hosptal while the second man left the scene and turned up at Scarborough General Hospital.
Murder - 42 Division
DECEASED: Name Withheld at Officer’s Request
On August 5, 2005 at approximately 1901 hours, police responded to a radio call regarding a shooting. Once on scene, police found the now deceased face down out front of an address on Morecambe Gate. Toronto EMS arrived on scene and performed CPR and transported the now deceased to Sunnybrook Health Science Centre where he was pronounced dead at 2000 hours by Dr. Rizoli of the hospital staff. The Regional Coroner’s Office was notified and attended. The exact cause of death is unknown at this time pending the results of an autopsy to be performed at a later date. Investigations are continuing.
Murder - 23 Division
DECEASED: Name withheld at Officer’s Request.
On August 3, 2005 at approximately 2020 hours, police responded to a radio call to attend an address at John Garland Boulevard. Two male victims were found suffering from gunshot wounds. One victim was transported to a hospital by Toronto EMS and the other victim was pronounced dead at the scene. Investigations are continuing.
Discharged Firearm - 12 Division
On August 3, 2005 at approximately 2333 hours, witnesses report hearing the sound of gunshots coming from the rear of a school in the area of Municipal Drive and Yorktown Drive. Witnesses report seeing a white Yukon or Denali leaving the area. No injuries were reported. Police are requesting the assistance of the public in identifying the person(s) in connection with this offence. Description of Suspect(s): NO DESCRIPTION AVAILABLE.